Puppies and dogs are both curious animals. Sometimes it takes just one time to get your dog to stop doing something, but it usually ends up with your dog getting injured in the process. Some things you may be giving to your dog and not even realizing that they are items your dog could potentially choke on and injure your dog. Read on for a few common items that could cause your dog to choke.
1. Rope Toys
A rope toy looks like fun and can give your dog a few days, hours or just minutes of play time. You can use it to play tug-of-war with your dog, or your dog may use it to chew on, which can help strengthen their jaws, but when the rope begins to fray, which usually happens right away, you should throw this rope away. The rope may fray too much and lead to small strands your dog may try to eat. If your dog eats part of the rope strands, he could choke on it, or it could end up stuck in his intestines. Either way, you should avoid giving your dog these toys altogether, or keep an eye out and when the toy begins to break or fray, throw it away.
2. Rawhide Bones
Rawhide bones are sold just about everywhere pet supplies are sold, but these bones can be a choking hazard for your dog. These bones can splinter and lead to choking, or it could do damage to your dog's throat, stomach and intestines. Avoid giving your dog rawhide bones and keep an eye out for other types of bones you give to your dog. Most other bones from your meals are also not good for your dog, as they can also splinter.
3. Stuffed Animals
Stuffed animals are another big toy item most people give to their dogs, but these can pose a choking hazard to your dog as well. Once the stuffing begins to come out, or if your dog is starting to eat the stuffing/material, your dog can choke on these things. If your dog just wants these toys to cuddle with, that's fine, but once they begin to chew and eat them, it's best to throw them away to avoid choking or other potential hazards.
These are just a few of the common items humans give to their furry pals, but they can all be hazardous if you don't keep an eye on your pet. Talk to your veterinarian at a local such as Kenmore Veterinary Hospital about other things you should avoid giving to your dog and what to do if your dog chokes on these or other items.